Job Ref: BL969
Area(s): North East England
Based: Barnardo's, Youth Village, Hudson Street, North Shields, NE30 1DL
Part Time: 30 hours per week
Salary £18,994 - £22,440 p.a (£23,427 - £27,676 FTE)
Children's services is responsible for the delivery of high quality services to children and young people, funded through income from local authorities, government agencies etc as well as Barnardo's voluntary funds. Family placement (FP) and Employment, Training and Skills (ETS) services, which are known as business lines, are centrally managed and locally delivered. Other services are predominantly delivered in a locality with strong links to local authorities and communities. An Assistant Director of Children's Services leads each locality and is the budget holder for all income and expenditure within it. Localities are grouped into three nations and five English regions, each headed by a Nation or Region Director and supported by an Assistant Director of Finance (ADF). The ADF is responsible for overseeing the financial management of the region / nation and all of its localities. The Assistant Finance Business Managers (AFBM) are responsible for assisting the ADF and the Finance Business Managers (FBM) in providing effective and efficient financial and resource management services. The Finance Officers (FO) provide transactional support to the regional finance team.
All Region/Nation locality based staff which includes but is not limited to the Region/Nation Director, Assistant Directors of Children¿s Services and the locality management team, Service Administrators, People Advisors
Head Office based staff including Head of Children¿s Services Accounting, and staff from other departments including Finance, People, Fundraising, Properties, IS, Corporate Audit, Company Secretariat and Retail.
Colleagues in other regions / nations and in the UK Business Lines.
Local commissioners, Finance leads in local authorities, health authorities and other central and local government departments and their partner agencies.
To assist the Assistant Director Finance and the Finance Business Managers in the development and management of the region/nation and its localities, through the provision of excellent financial analysis, advice and guidance.
- Provide financial summaries and financial analysis for the ADF and the FBM¿s.
- Provide financial analysis, advice and guidance to budget holders.
- Support the ADF and FBM¿s in ensuring financial targets are monitored, reported against, variances are addressed and any changes that may impact on the region / nation plan or locality plan are incorporated into the budget, forecast and monthly reports to the ADF and Head of Children¿s Services Accounting (HoCSA).
- Support the operational management of the localities¿ resources including:
- Supporting FBM¿s with budget review including contribution to the annual budget process
- Supporting FBM¿s with the provision of financial analysis, advice and guidance to the locality management team, other managers and administrators and Finance Officers
- Support the FBM in the management of service contracts and tenders including:
- Supporting the FBM¿s in producing costings and pricing for tenders and contracts
- Development and maintenance of effective working relationships with local authorities and other agency partners.
- Preparation of financial reports to funding partners in a mutually agreed format.
- Processing month-end and year-end entries, including accruals, prepayments, journal adjustments, management charges, internal recharges, provision of balance sheet reconciliations and supporting documentation for audit.
- Maintains cost centres and parent values.
- Provides cover for credit control function as required.
Closing Date: 15/02/2018
Interview Date(s): 23/02/2018