Provide expert theoretical and practical capability in hybrid powertrain application.
Implement and validate optimum calibration strategies in line with Brand and Product Line requirements.
Coordinate Group and Supplier application activities in line with Product Line Requirements.
Awareness and understanding of latest developments in the relevant vehicle systems.
Developing and maintaining technical knowledge/capability.
a. Self education through evaluating competitor vehicles, reading technical literature and maintaining a network of contacts within the industry and educational establishments.
b. Developing and maintaining sufficient understanding of the electro-mechanical systems/components.
Accountable for defining and planning own work for approval by Functional Manager
a. Develop potential feature definition in line with project specified functionality, legal, cost, weight and timing requirements.
b. Propose appropriate functional specifications for inclusion in target book.
c. Develop activity timing plan for assigned features, identifying all relevant activities and their customers/suppliers (internal and external) and obtaining their agreement/buy-in.
d. Identify detailed development content for assigned features and negotiate release date.
Accountable for design and verification of hybrid powertrain application which, when introduced into production, are safe, legal and otherwise fit for purpose.
a. Identify and analyse alternative design solutions to satisfy functional, technical, legal and styling specifications, in line with engineering strategies, initially from existing supplier capability, but if necessary through initiating/conducting original feature development with the supplier.
b. Through consultation/agreement with Functional Manager, select appropriate solution.
c. Hybrid Powertrain Calibration data release for prototype and production vehicles to integrate with whole vehicle system requirements to satisfy agreed targets.
Accountable for planning and management of validation activities for systems/components to demonstrate successful achievement of 3 points above.
a. In conjunction with Functional Manager, agree system validation and certification requirements to satisfy client/group standards and international safety legislation.
b. Manage/execute the tests identified above, resolve any engineering problems and produce and issue the required documentation for approval.
c. Complete the formal sign-off of the system with supplier/contract house through internal processes in agreement with Functional Manager.
d. Issue resolution management using company/group business system.
Accountable for timely application release for prototypes and production and for timely delivery of all product engineering activities to ensure timely vehicle launch to quality and cost.
a. Accountable overall for application releases to partner functions in line with timing requests.
b. manage, monitor and, if necessary, expedite supplier and/or external design-house activities concerned in design, testing, release and delivery of the prototype applications (which may also be necessary to support initial production).
Specific Information For Role
1. Responsible for Powertrain vehicle application and validation elements, initially cooling and active exhaust control.
2. Responsible for managing (planning and monitoring) supplier delivery.
3. Responsible for formal application data management.
4. Responsible for gaining application approval with engineering in conjunction with Functional Manager.
5. Responsible for application related issue resolution management.
6. Approves production concessions and permits in agreement with Functional Manager.
7. Agrees vehicle test process with Manufacturing and Certification Engineering.
8. May be required to direct Technicians.
9. Collaborates closely with other engineers, particularly those who are dependant upon their applications to operate their component/systems.
10. Liaises with all levels in the business up to Director, and with suppliers/contract houses at all levels.
Skills & Experience
1. Self Driven / Positive can do attitude.
2. Experience of Powertrain Calibration activities.
3. Good problem solving & evaluation techniques.
4. Excellent interpersonal skills.
5. Available to travel for extended periods (up to 3 weeks at a time), sometimes with short notice, worldwide.
Practical & Technical Knowledge
1. Computer literate using MS office tools.
2. Experience in the use of; INCA/VAS/Diagra/ODIS/IDEX/VDS/Canape/Vector.
3. Recognised industry or internal driving qualification or demonstrable experience (high speed driving)
Appropriate Engineering degree or extensive experience.
Is a leading Automotive manufacturer with a reputation for outstanding quality the world over. With demand increasing and an upturn in production, there is a need to bring further skills into the business to deliver on current and future projects.