Undergraduate Internship Programme
Starting in July each year, this is a 48-week industrial placement programme for undergraduates in their penultimate year of an undergraduate degree in the ‘built environment’. Alternatively, we offer placements in Marketing or HR.
During your time with us, you’ll have the opportunity to get an all-round insight into the business by completing six one-week placements. For the remainder of the placement, you’ll specialise in your chosen department, where you’ll be given more responsibility to challenge and stretch you.
We understand that starting work as a full-time employee can be daunting. That's why we've put in place a support network to help you settle in. On joining, you'll be introduced to your buddy – a current or ex-graduate - who'll answer your questions and be there for you day-to-day if you need help.
During your placement you can expect a dedicated coach, who will work with you day-to-day, giving you the technical knowledge you need and ‘real’ opportunities for you to get involved to demonstrate your ability. Your coach will also give you regular reviews and feedback.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
To undertake a work placement over 48 weeks in order to prepare the student for the world of work.
WHAT WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR?
- Following the programme rotations, completing the portfolio evidence as required
- Assuming a ‘real’ role for the remainder of the placement – depending on discipline choice
- Contributing to continuous development within Barratt by undertaking Divisional tasks / projects as agreed with mentor
- Continuing to develop through reviews with your coach and mentor
- Contributing towards Corporate Responsibility objectives by taking part in volunteering activities happening in the local area
- Giving continuous and constructive feedback on the programme
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS / QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
You’ll need to be in your penultimate year of a ‘built environment’ degree in subjects such as Construction Management, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Architectural Technology, Real Estate, Planning and Property Development, and Building Surveying to name a few. Alternatively, you'll be studying a Marketing, Business or HR related degree. You’ll also need to be able to work legally in the UK.
But there’s something even more important. And that’s your personal qualities.
- Self-confident, articulate, resilient and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- A lateral and innovative thinker; sees change as an opportunity and challenge for the business
- Able to work on own initiative, with the drive to take ownership of projects
- Strong communication skills, the ability to build effective and mutually beneficial working relationships both internally and externally
- Able to rapidly absorb new and complex information with ease and speed to conduct an incisive analysis
- Passionate about the customer and is a role model of this behaviour to others in the business
- Display energy and enthusiasm to deliver goals and achievements
- Driven, self-motivated and results driven for self and business
WHAT ABOUT THE BENEFITS PACKAGE?
Undergraduate placements are an opportunity to earn while you learn. While you’re here, we’ll expect you to make a real contribution to our business.
That’s why we ensure you receive a competitive salary and benefits for the hard work and effort you put in. This includes:
- Salary £15,600 (£17,000 in London and Aberdeen)
- 25 days' holiday a year plus public holidays
- Fast-track to one of our graduate development programmes, once you’ve completed your degree (subject to performance)
- Sick pay
- Chance to win Instant Recognition Awards including gift options such as shopping vouchers, flowers, wine and hampers. You can even win a day off
- Salary bonuses are available to those who do exceedingly well throughout the programme
- Training and Employability sessions
- Networking opportunities with other undergraduates
2015 Remaining Vacancies
Please choose which location(s) you are interested in through the application process.
Commercial (Quantity Surveying)
- Edinburgh (Quantity Surveying)
Construction (Site Management)
- Exeter (Construction Management)
Technical (Engineering & Design)
- Cardiff (Architecture)
- York (Architecture or Engineering)
- Manchester (Architecture or Engineering)
- Nottingham (Architecture or Engineering)
Edinburgh, Manchester, London, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff, York, Northampton, Nottingham
Group Support Centre
Hours of Work
Full Time - Fixed Term
Barratt Homes, Barratt London, David Wilson Homes
Full-time fixed term
19 July 2015